This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Tuesday 14 December 2010

Leeks n Taters

During the 12 days of snow some of the plants around the garden looked like they weren't gonna make it, stalks drooping, exhausted. However the snow melted and the plants perked up - calling out to go into a warm casserole. Above: Melted snow on a leek.
I've been harvesting pot grown leeks throughout the summer as they grew exceptionally fast in pots. I sowed the seed back in April/May and planted them in various containers, and in the ground. The ones in the ground have grown much slower and most of them I expect to to harvest in Feb/March. A few baby leeks harvested along the way. (I have about 30+ leeks in the ground.)
Above, ground leeks. After the big snow, they're fine of course. Looking at the photo, I think I may eat these soon. Some of the leeks I doubled up i.e. two in the hole to make smaller leeks. Variety: Leek Musselburgh, Carters Tested Seeds, 350 seeds, 70 pence per pack.
Here's some of my Maris Peer potatoes. I stored some in the garage wrapped in newspaper and I brought them out over the weekend to use. On the menu - chicken casserole with leeks and taters. Comfort food! I have about 4 lbs of potatoes still wrapped in the garage and will be using them to bring in the New Year.
 VarietyMaris Peer Potatoes, Homebase, 2 kg bag for £3.49

Gardening is so much fun!

4 comments:

  1. Leeks and taters...how very Irish. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not knocking the old favourites! Actually leeks, taters and chicken sounds nearer to the Scottish dish Cock-a-Leekie. Do you have any pearl barley nearby??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous winter food, all the better when it's home grown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure about pearl barley, probably can get hold of it. I googled cock-a-leekie and got lots of recipes for soup, including a Gordan Ramsay one. I'm a fan of Gordan and Tana. Might have to try this in new year.

    ReplyDelete