This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Sunday 27 March 2011

Name that Veg (time will tell)

Back in October I sowed some seeds outside in an old wheelbarrow I use as a raised bed (its been good for growing potatoes in the past).

Behind my little plastic plant protectors (recycled water bottles), are either Kale Nero di Toscana or Radish Scarlet Globe....
Here is the unveiling of my little plants, however, what are they?
I've never grown kale or radish before... I'm assuming these are radish plants as kale has dark crinkled leaves. I was actually surprised these plants survived the worse Dec winter on record in Northern Ireland.
One of my weaknesses is plant identification as my regular visitors will know. So am I right about the radish? I know time will tell.
As usual my site manger was there supervising my work. In the background are pink geraniums coming up.

I put more Kale seed and Spinach Beet (perpetual spinach) into my wheelbarrow bed. I really would love to have more raised beds!

12 comments:

  1. What do the bases look like? Radish will already be pink and forming a little bulb! Both are yummmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelli, I think you are right. They are radishes, not kale. The best time for sowing Kale seeds is in April or May, so that the plants will get big enough to survive the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Either way, you'll have a lovely salad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they are radishes, too. In your second picture, I think I can see a little bit of red on the stems. The radishes will, like Mrs. Bok says, form a little red bulb eventually that peeks up above the ground. Then - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I notice your site manager chose a nice moss covered rock to perch on...very tasteful accomadation, I must say. Good luck with your veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to giggle about calling your kitty your site manager. That's a perfect description and I can relate! I hadn't thought of growing potatoes in an old wheel barrow, very clever! I've held off from potatoes thinking I needed a lot more room. I'm going to enjoy reading about your vegetable gardening adventures as I have so much to learn!
    P.S. Yes, I'm planning to divide my primroses, if I thought they'd survive the trip, I'd mail you some! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo goodness, I would have no idea. I have never grown either kale or radish, but I hope to correct that this winter (as that's when we grow them here for any of you thinking I am a nutter :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like radddish to me, I like the idea of using plastic bottles to protect plants in winter but I'm woried they would blow away in my windy garden. I have just bought some raddish seed so I'd better get sowing. Christina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kellee, radishes I would think too, I love the mini cloches! I dont eat kale so have nover grown it but I will plant some for the hens as they seem to like it by all accounts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the first time I am growing kale too so I am not sure how the seedling look like. But it does look like radish. Your site manage is very cute.

    ReplyDelete