This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Wednesday 30 May 2012

May Flowers

A good splash of colour around the garden now. I think May and June are favourite months as the lupins and delphiniums are really fantastic. (The delphiniums aren't in flower yet but it won't be long). The recent warm weather seems to have spurred growth. The clay soil is rock hard as we've had very little rain. However, I've been able to get most weeds under control. Here's an overview of what's in bloom...
Above: Aquilegia / Columbine (Perennial) - grown from seed last year. In their second year the plants seem bigger and more impressive.
Below:  Nemophila 'Pennie Black', (Annual). Last Summer the plants were tiny and I wasn't impressed but this Summer the plants have come up bigger and I'm growing fond of them.
Above and Below: Lupin (Perennial) grown from seed quite a number of years ago. I've read several articles that say lupin and delphinium only last about 3 years but I find they last longer.
Pieris / Forest Flame shrub co-ordinates with the lupin colour.
Above: A bee enjoys the lupin.
Below: A new Lupin plant - grown from seed last year. 
I've forgotten what these two are.. maybe:
Above: A type of Camellia or rhododendrum 
tree?
Below: A type of Azalea or compact rhododendrum shrub?
Above and Below: Poached Egg Plant / Limnanthes Douglasii, (Hardy Annual) self seeds in a border with roses and other plants. I believe the rose below is 'Arthur Bell'. 
Above: Rose (type I've forgotten).
Below: Antirrhinum (Snapdragon) 'Intermediate Mixed', (Half Hardy Annual), coming into full swing after not dying down over Winter, pictured with Silverdust (Annual) still going as well.
Above: Welsh Poppy are popping up in random places but seems to work.
Below: No idea but the cats love the flowers on this shrub. They put their face right into the shrub and get high sniffing the flowers.

Happy Gardening over the long weekend!

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

12 comments:

  1. I am amazed that we have the same flowers blooming at the same time. Lupine and columbine are blooming here, though I don't have lupine in this new garden yet; yours are have a lot of color.Kitty looks like he appreciates the peaceful garden. We just finished our long weekend. Hope you have a great weekend, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the purple flowering shrub a rhododendron? WE have masses of poached egg plants under our shrub roses on the allotment - some is even coming up in the tarmac 'road' around the site - oops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the lilac lupin, it looks an impressive plant. The lilac and lemon aquilegia is a pretty colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are lovely! The purple and pink lupin is a sight to see. Love your cat too! Have a nice day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh your spring garden is spectacular! I can't pick a favourite. But I like to pick up the cat for cuddles:).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your lupins - I wish I could grow them but the snails put paid to them every time I have tried. Your garden is looking lovely - you must put a lot of effort into it to keep it looking so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great display of colour, Kelli. You put my garden to shame! I love May and June best as well, because everything is full of promise for a bountiful harvest.
    I agree with Sue that that shrub is most likely a Rhododendron. Azaleas generally have smaller leaves. Wikipedia also says that Azaleas have one flower per stem whereas Rhododendrons have clusters of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your lupins. I used to grow them years ago, before the snails and lupin aphids moved in. Really must remember to grow some poached egg plants again though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful garden, Kelli! I love the lupins and the columbine. The poached egg plants really look great with the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful colors in your garden! Love the lupines. And the poached egg is perfect with that yellow rose. Your cat is adorable. Cats always make the best "supervisors"! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems only days ago that you were waiting for some warmer weather and the sun to visit...but now it's arrived...'poof'...profusions of plants, all looking amazing. How quickly things can change ;D
    By the way that photo of the cat is so cute.
    Enjoy you're garden over you're long weekend. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW...your garden is truly spectacular! I especially love the lupines and the bright pink columbine. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete