This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Friday 8 March 2013

The Beauty of Bulbs



I can't resist photographing bulbs in the garden - they look so cheerful especially on dull, rainy days; they indicate Spring is on its way and soon there will be warm, sunny days to spend outside in the garden (hopefully). 

Crocus and snowdrops are such great bulbs. They bring much needed splashes of colour and look good everywhere - woodland areas, under shrubs, in herbaceous / perennial borders.
Irish moss is abundant this time of year.

Happy Mother's Day in the UK to all mums on 10th March.
Mother's Day in the USA is on 12 May. (not sure why the dates differ)
 Today, 8th March, is International Women's Day - there are many events taking place across the world. I was at a lecture this week about Irish suffragettes and found it very educational and interesting.

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

12 comments:

  1. Our bulbs could do with just a little sunshine to encourage them

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crocuses in the top photos are really enjoying the sun, just look how wide they've opened up. I've got some snowdrops out, but the rest of my bulbs seems to be late developers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, those Crocuses sure are enjoying a sunbath! I'd dearly love to have a sort of "woodland" element in my garden, with huge swathes of naturalised Snowdrops like yours. They look so attractive en masse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful blooms!
    I have a few crocus and a lot of daffodils.
    We finally have a few sunny warm days so I planted gladiolus bulbs today.
    Have a wonderful week-end!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelli, I enlarged all your photos and they were just stunning. I really want to do a painting from the second one! That purple color is so beautiful. It is so nice to see blooms in the garden. Hope your weekend is warm and sunny and you can be out enjoying it. Have a great week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely crocuses in a sunny garden. We were all lucky last week with the sun, but today it is raining and o no, we will get snow and temperatures to -7degr.C. coming week. Too bad, for me and the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Spring blooms! Still anxiously awaiting Spring in our gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your spring garden Kelli!! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pics ... maybe spring is coming after all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait for more flowers blooming in your garden.
    Always so breath taking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perhaps bulbs are so gorgeous because they know we need a jolt of color after a long, cold winter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving your blog Kelli. I admin for RHSI (the Irish equivalent to RHS in the UK) I hope you don't mind I've given you a plug and shared a photo of yours

    Ena

    ReplyDelete