This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Sunday 23 February 2014

Cabbage, Kale, Leek - grown in poor soil

The result of growing plants in poor soil... 
I'm growing vegetables in an area of the garden where the soil is very bad as I hadn't the time to prepare it well last Summer. The soil is very rocky, hard clay and very little organic matter dug into the area. Of course this has made an impact on the success of the plants growing. Even so, I think the photos show that plants can survive in poor conditions however they don't necessarily thrive. I aim to improve the soil in March-April by digging in manure and compost.

Left: I don't know much about growing cabbage but I assume this plant is unsuccessful!

Photo Below: A better looking cabbage - I find it hard to tell when to harvest a plant I've little experience growing. Trial and error huh!

Variety: Cabbage January King, Mr Digwell seeds. Seed sown at the end of June; planted into the ground August. 
The seed pack describes Cabbage January King as "a very hard variety with distinctive purple tinge and really solid hearts that hold for long periods in the cold weather."
Above: Kale Nero di Toscanna - also growing in poor soil. Flowers seem to be forming now so I suppose it's time to pull them out.
Above: Kale Dwarf Green Curled - these have grown well in poor soil and keep going strong. I don't really like the texture of these curly plants, however, I eat them in soups. The seed pack describes this plant as "ultra hardy."
Above: Leek Musselburgh - this poor little leek should really be much bigger  - also growing in poor soil. Suppose it's better to have a small leek than no leek at all!

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

13 comments:

  1. Re the flowering Cavolo Nero:- you can eat the shoots as if they were Sprouting Broccoli - or leave them to flower. You will get a mass of tiny yellow flowers that the bees absolutely love. My recommendation for what to do with an area of garden with poor soil is to use it for growing Comfrey (with which to make plant food). Comfrey will grow pretty much anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, good to know about the kale. Suppose I shouldn't quite discard it yet.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kelly, I don't grow cabbages and probably won't in the near future. From what I remember when visiting my grandma's cottage house, there always were problems with growing this veg, especially caterpillars found in between the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, and I know all about the damage caterpillars bring as the garden was full of them this Summer!

      Delete
  3. Shame about the crops Kelli but that second cabbage looks fine - the first one has definitely bolted though. My cavolo nero kale has finally gone to seed but the curly kale, like yours, is still doing fine so far - better luck next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelli, Cabbage and broccoli are my most successful veggies, but I don't have slugs in my garden for which I am thankful and for some unknown reason I never get worms on either of them. Of course, they are a winter crop here and I started harvested broccoli right after Christmas and am still getting some sprouts daily. I have harvested one cabbage. It was a big head and very firm, so I knew it was ready. I have another that I will have to harvest within a week, I think and the others are still little, even though planted at the same time. It is strange, how they are ready to harvest at different times even though they are all the same variety and were planted at the same time. Possibly some received more sunshine or water. I attribute my success with planting marigolds and basil near them and I sprinkle crushed basil leaves on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to grow basil this year and start spreading it around the garden!

      Delete
  5. Hi Kelli. My Cavalo Nero is at exactly the same stage as yours! We are eating the spears/shoots as fast as we can before they flower. And I have plenty of experience of disappointingly small leeks. They are hungry plants. There are non curly kales (although the curly kales are wonderful at discouraging pests). Sutherland Kale is a heritage variety that is flat leaved, but boy the plants are big and are prone to flopping over if they are not staked. Real hardy brutes. Hungry Gap is a variety I have grown this year. Late to mature they seem to be half way between curled and flat. You might like that. Glad to hear that you are giving some room to kale!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe the first one needed harvesting sooner or maybe the mild weather made it bolt early. Probably nothing that you have done wrong

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Mark the flowering kale stalks are lovely. I tend to stir fry them & leave a plant or two on purpose for this. Harvesting wise I do so when I think they look big enough for what I want. I would never be any good at exhibition growing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this post illustrates that you win some and you lose some. I've given up on most brassicas, there always seems to be one problem or another with them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great. You are so lucky to have mild winter and to be able to grow cabbages whole winter. And even though they were grown on poor soil they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Jo's comment. About the only cure for cabbage worms that infest broccoli too is netting, which I never use. I just grim around them on the cabbage and soak the broccoli in salt water or pick off the gross, green worms.

    ReplyDelete