This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Friday 28 February 2014

Rhubarb Race

Photo above shows 5 days of growth compared to photo below.
The rhubarb race is on and each week I expect the fruit to get bigger and bigger. Last year I was harvesting from May to early July and I'm hoping for the same (if not better) this year. I divided the plant in January and did a swap with another gardener hoping to acquire a new type of rhubarb - neither of us know what variety we had so it'll be interesting to see what happens. This year I have five rhubarb plants - I'm thinking lots of rhubarb eating (crumbles, jam, stewed and served over ice cream)!
How's your rhubarb doing?
Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

9 comments:

  1. I've got three, I moved them last year & didn't harvest from them as I wanted them to have a full year in the new space. I can't wait for this years harvest & thankfully they are making their way through the ground nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of our rhubarb is shooting but some are later varieties, We are still eating last years from the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our rhubarb is putting in an appearance :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at our local Garden Centre today and cast some envious glances towards their terracotta rhubarb-forcers. I couldn't justify the £32.95 price tag though. :(
    I have two types of Rhubarb: "Victoria" and "Timperley Early". The latter was new last year, and I'm unsure whether to crop it this year. I might just let it build up its strength a bit more before I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time for rhubard already! Maybe I will buy some at the market this year and try it once again. As you know, my brother and I never liked it in any form, but your grandmother was just like you. She could hardly wait to make desserts of rhubard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I know it is spelled " rhubarb".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grow rhubarb in a large barrel and I'm lucky it does so well every year. We don't each much, so one plant is enough, but it is a real treat to have it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No rhubarb in my garden. My family doesn't like it so I don't grow it.

    ReplyDelete