This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Wednesday 23 April 2014

Making an Herb Box

I've been wanting to increase my use of herbs and have decided to locate a range of herbs near the kitchen using a newly constructed herb box. Suppose this will be a bit of an experiment as I've not too much experience of growing herbs. I will have to see if there is enough sun and if the plants like the location. The box currently contains a topiary style French lavender, 6 chive plants, 2 types of thyme, marjoram, and 3 types of oregano. 
The herb box includes a well established thyme (far left),  'Country' Oregano which came from a local garden centre, and at the back - chives that are coming into flower (these have been divided from plants in another area of the garden and added to the herb box).
Bought from the local garden centre at a cost of 4 plants for £5 (about $8 US dollars):
Marjoram - I'm not sure how to use this, but will have to learn.
'Hot' oregano smells great with a strong spicy smell. 
The French Lavender topiary was the most expensive plant at £12.99 (about $21 US dollars). I've used purple slate stone as a mulch as I had some spare sitting around.

The herb box is approx 15 inches (width) by 45 inches (length). The wood is decking wood which cost approx £20 to purchase (about $33 Us dollars) and as the labour was free it works out pretty good value for money. Just hope I can manage to keep the plants alive!

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful box of herbs, Kelli. I love the use of the decking wood; it is very attractive and the herbs look healthy. I imagine they will trive. You didn't mention the type of soil in the box, but I assume it is a mix of potting soil of some sort, which can always have fertilizer or compost added if needed. The purple slate stone really looks pretty in it, too. Hope you will pass on recipes using herbs in the future; I, too, would like to learn more about growing and using them. By the way, the price of two small herbs here in U.S. is about $7.00 for only 2 and sometimes even higher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love herbs! I'm trying to use more of them myself. I'm still learning about our climate here, some of my herbs died in the winter. I guess some are just not frost hardy. Your lavender is beautiful, I had some I grew from seeds a couple of years ago. They were blooming well at the old house. I pulled the lavender out when we moved. I think they went through transplant shock, not sure if they'll make it. Enjoy your herbs and the wonderful fragrance they bring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely box of various herbs. I bought that same Lavender last year and it survived and flowers again, not in the garden but in a stone pot. Herbs are everywhere in the garden in the borders and I use them frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The box looks very nice! I love marjoram with veggie mince made into burgers (I don't eat meat), and my mum uses it in pork sousages and meatballs-very fragrant herb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspiring! I should try and make it on my garden. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks lovely. I don't use many herbs in cooking but it's something I want to start doing more too, I want to add to my small herb collection this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks brilliant and I love the top dressing. We have some herbs in a smaller box which are now at the stage of needing redoing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have found that herbs planted last year did very well in pots. We plant chives in and amongst the vegetable garden as a companion plant to deter bugs, and roses like chives, too. It is an easy grower. I plant lavender nearly every year and have yet for it survive the winter. Your planter will fill up and be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have decided to try to grow herbs this year, too! They really do need their own box, and yours looks so nice and really displays the herbs well. I also love the purple stones! That really gives it a designer look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great, I wander if I ask Mike nicely, if he would build me something similar

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty! And so useful! The herb box really looks professional......Herb gardens really bring us back to our roots.....our grandmothers and great-grandmothers all had herbs by the kitchen door......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your herb trough looks fab they will love it and thrive I am sure

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope your herbs do well for you! Putting them right near the kitchen is the best idea ever, I find myself using so many more herbs since I did the same. Here, see my old blog post to see what kind of herb box that hubby and I built simply by doing a lot of figuring! http://lifeinrobinsnest.blogspot.com/2013/08/summer-winding-down.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a gorgeous herb box!! Do you remember where you got the purple slate from? I love how it makes the greens of the foliage pop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rozzie, you can generally get purple slate from building suppliers or garden centres. All the best, Kelli.

      Delete