This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Tuesday 19 August 2014

The Tomato Challenge

A good learning point for a gardener is to label plants. I usually do this but sometimes plant tags go missing or maybe I forget to make a label. However, I think this tomato is 'Red Pear'. Grown from seed, initially I was labeling the plants 'red bear' (that was a laugh when I told a friend I was growing red Bear tomatoes!

We're well into mid-August and my tomatoes are developing but no sign of turning red yet. I've pinched the tops and I'm pinching side shoots. There are still lots of flowers so maybe more fruits will develop... or maybe I'll run out of time as it is getting chillier at night. Either way suppose I'm sure to get some cherry sized tomatoes at some stage soon.

Below: Various tomato plants growing in pots outside. Not in a greenhouse as I've done in previous years but better results than I had expected.



Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

9 comments:

  1. Yes, I'm having the same green tomato experience. Some of mine are in growbags covered in growbag sized plastic greenhouses and some are just in pots. I've seen the first yellowing tomato in the covered growbags. Let's just hope we get another bout of summer before it's too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could make green tomato chutney! My relatives in Derry would be amazed at your garden. They don't seem to think they can grow anything much with the climate. You want summer to return, I want it to begin!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute, Red Bear tomatoes ha ha! A lot of my tomatoes are still green too and I plant all of them from seeds. My problem is I use wooden labels writing with markers and the name eventually fades away so sometimes I can't identify the variety. Have you tried pruning your tomatoes? Sometimes that works for me to speed up ripening so the plant puts its energy on the fruit instead of developing more side shoots and flowers. Just don't go overboard and prune like you're give the tomato plant a haircut. If that doesn't work, fried green tomatoes are delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that if a label gets lost there is normally an earlier photo of the plant on my blog that will help identify it! If the toms don't ripen on the plant before the weather turns too cold, you can still cut them and ripen them indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have some peppers labelled Red Bull that should be Red Bell. These animals do sneak in don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are very bad at labeling. We have begun eating fresh tomatoes. Have you grown Black Crim? It is very dark, juicy, and tomato -ee. Our garden is a mess this year. I am hoping for enough peppers and tomatoes to make salsa, at least. Yours will ripen-- hopefully before the first frost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Labels.....what are those! :) Tomatoes by any name are wonderful. The Saver loves growing and eating fresh tomatoes. BLT's (Bacon, lettuce and tomato) sandwiches are considered a gourmet meal when the tomatoes are fresh from the garden! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Remove all the lower leaves from the tomato plants to let the light in, get some banana skins and place them around the bass of the vines, the tomato's will then start to ripen. I've been picking mine for a month now in Co.Roscommon, all in the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fried green tomatoes are a southern favorite, you know. Have you ever tried that? You batter slices and quickly fry in some olive oil or canola oil. But I think you still might have time for them to ripen...once they get started, most will get ripe quickly.

    ReplyDelete