This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Tuesday 30 September 2014

Veg Update

September has been warm and the vegetables are still going strong. I'm glad I kept sowing seed, even late in the season, as I've ended up with a good few items for late harvesting.

Left: Lettuces, courgette, parsley etc are growing happily. The pak choi keeps  bolting; I've tried to grow it on a number of occasions and haven't had success so this might be going on my black list of 'don't bother to grow'.

Other veg growing include kale, swede, beetroot, chard, leek and salad crops.

One of the problems this month with courgette has been mildew on the leaves. I've ended cutting most of the leaves off. 
Above: Lots of Turnip Milan Purple Top.
Above: This photo was taken about 10 days ago; the cherry sized tomatoes are now turning red. I'm not a huge fan of tomatoes so most go into cooking / sauces.
Above: This time of year is great for taking woodland walks and picking blackberries - free and tasty!
Above: Dwarf Beans Purple Queen were sown in late June and are producing well. Better late than never!

Lots to keep me busy! Hope you have a great week in the garden!

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

7 comments:

  1. "Not a huge fan of tomatoes"?? How could you...? They are amongst my favourites, as you know! Re the Pak Choi... Having seen it grown in the Far East, I know that it needs constant irrigation. I have also found that it performs better in the slightly cooler conditions of Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like tomatoes too, I only grow them for Mike! The best pak choi I ever grew were volunteer ones from some compost spread on the beds! You still have so much going on in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My courgettes and squash are still producing but the leaves are covered in mildew. I just leave them as it doesn't seem to affect the actual fruit. I've got a couple of pickings of tomatoes left and then they'll be done for another year and I'll be looking forward to getting the seed sown again in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kellie, you are a real trouper keeping your garden growing. We still have tomatoes ripening, mostly cherry tomatoes. The rest of the garden is finished. So am I. Enjoy your greens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of good looking veggies! It is nice to still have lots of good garden things to eat! Time to plant Fall garden here, but it is still quite hot and rains every afternoon about the time I start to work in the garden! Hope to get the cabbages planted in a few days. Enjoy your Fall garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had much success growing pak choi either. Still plenty going on in your garden - late sowings really do pay off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We gave up on pak choy amd friends ages ago. It's good to still have fresh home grown fruit and veg isn't it?

    ReplyDelete