This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Thursday 16 October 2014

Late Summer Flowers

We've had a bit of an Indian Summer, however, it is now turning wet and windy and the plants are likely to be battered about over the weekend. Over the past six weeks it has been great to see butterflies, moths, hover flies and bees about the garden enjoying themselves - and they make good photo subjects!  

I'm currently taking a photography class so I'm hoping my blog photos will continue to improve over the coming year!

Above: Sedum flowers in late summer and attract lots of insects!
Above: Salvia Purple Majesty and Verbena look well all summer long.
Above: Verbena still going strong in October - a must have plant!
What would be on your 'must have' plant list???

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

10 comments:

  1. My contribution to the "Must have" list is Rudbeckia. Striking colour; very vigorous plants; flowers last a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to pass on some photography tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your first photo. How exciting taking a photography class, I could do with taking one myself, I still haven't got to grips with my camera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very few blooms hang on here, so the bees are busy getting ready for winter. You will enjoy the photography class. Some have a natural eye for composition then when an exert points out minute details, you will go "wow" and be even better. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely butterfly photos. So interesting to follow a photography class, I really should like to do that too, may be lateron. I also love the background of your blog, the sea, rocks, clouds and sun in Ireland, wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos ot these gorgeous butterflies !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew all the beautiful details of butterflies. Great photos, Kelli.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mycket vackra bilder! Sommaren dröjer sig kvar hos er, här har hösten gjort entré och det är ruggigt, kallt och blött.

    Hälsningar från en trädgårdsnörd i Sverige.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos look great! Very sharp. :o) Verbena B. is one of my must haves along with agastache 'Blue Fortune' and orange milkweed. The pollinators love them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with your photography class, I can see some good shots already! And I love butterflies, I'm forever trying to get their pictures.

    ReplyDelete