This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Tuesday 14 April 2015

Tinkering with garden designing

It's been a busy couple of years in the garden. From volunteering weekly with a gardening group, to keeping up with growing my own veg and plants from seed, I've also been designing my first garden, a low maintenance garden... that started with a grassy / weedy area that looked sad and was in need of some TLC (tender loving care).

I've always had some interest in garden design and have done a short design course etc. Recently I took on my first project, starting with drawing out ideas and doing a bit of research on plants, etc. Its been fun and hard work as I've been involved in the digging etc (my back has not liked this).

Here's a little sneak preview of one of the areas that is almost finished, with a before, during and after shot.  More on the garden design project (and its progress) at a later date.

Above: Work in progress - some hard landscaping on a low budget.
Above: The starting point - an area of grass and weeds.

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

9 comments:

  1. Very nice and a lot of work. I have been adding more grasses to the landscape. There is such a great variety to choose from now. It will be a spot that you will enjoy for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look forward to seeing your projects - have to admit our garden evolves rather than follows a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice project to start, I like it. I've been a garden designer for years, it's fun but also lots of work as you also have your own garden. I had to stop designing lately, because I have too much other obligations at the moment with the care for very old parents, my own garden, my daughter's garden and I'm already retired myself, haha.
    Wish you a lot of success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm interested in garden design myself. I often find myself judging those in the neighborhood who don't do it well, but I shouldn't do that. You should hear me ranting to hubby "They think they can just plunk a few flowers anywhere and call it a day! That won't look like anything come winter time!" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a transformation! If you do that to all of your garden it will take you years though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kelli, this is very neat that you have begun designing! It is my dream to enter this world someday. I'm really looking forward to more posts about your projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kelli, What a great job you did designing and making that lovely garden. I love the path to the bench and the pots placed where they are, plus the front garden is gorgeous! It all looks very inviting and restful. I hope your back is over the soreness and you have some time to sit and enjoy that beautiful garden. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea...

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds really interesting, I look forward to hearing more about it.

    ReplyDelete