This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Saturday 30 May 2015

Pottering in the Garden


When I 'work' in the garden, I don't consider it a chore... I consider it a bit of play time. It's a time to get my hands dirty, do something messy, get creative, and try something new. Pottering about has become one of my favourite past times. 

Earlier in the month, walking around our local Garden Show, I was struck by all the great ideas others have come up with, and it was great to see young people and children getting involved in the show. 

Here are some playful and creative ideas from our local Garden Show...
The winning 'Team Garden Challenge'  was created by young Level 2 Horticultural students. I've seen this design idea used a number of times, and it's always eye catching and effective. I particularly like the old boots planted with alpines. (Click on photos to enlarge.)
Above: Local schools get involved in creating 'edible gardens' - this one has a cute little chick made from an egg shell with what looks like watercress growing from it, along with sage, chives, and other herbs. 
Above: Growing lettuces and herbs from recycled plastic milk or water bottles is a great way to start a mini garden in a small space.
Above and below: School children use recycling boxes to plant up mini edible gardens. If you look closely they're really clever and packed with lots of great plants.
Above: Recently, I was pricing clay herb pots and they were quite expensive. The use of plastic bottles to grow strawberries, herbs and lettuces are a great idea, and children would enjoy this as their own little garden patch to look after.

May is the month for garden shows... this weekend I'm visiting 'Bloom in the Park' in Dublin (the 'Chelsea of Ireland'). It's the first time I've managed to make it down to the garden festival, now in its 9th year, and I'm really excited (camera ready!). Hoping for lots of inspiration (and good weather! (raincoat ready)). 
For more information on the Dublin show click here.

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

4 comments:

  1. I think my granddaughters would like most of those - especially the pink wheelbarrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all for getting children involved in gardening. One school here has the children grow the garden then they get cooking lessons to prepare the vegetables that they grown. Finally a whole day of sunshine here. We are as green as Irenland--for the time being. Enjoy the garden show in Dublin. I'd love to be there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The plastic bottles look great. I would have never guessed what they were from the picture. In Manchester city centre there are three or four bug hotels created by the children at a local primary school. There are so many ways to get children involved with the garden and the nature within it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The plastic bottles look great. I would have never guessed what they were from the picture. In Manchester city centre there are three or four bug hotels created by the children at a local primary school. There are so many ways to get children involved with the garden and the nature within it.

    ReplyDelete