This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Sunday 26 July 2015

Courgette Zucchini Cake

When I returned from holiday (vacation) I was greeted in the garden by a 450 gram courgette (zucchini), a small marrow. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it until a came across a recipe for Chocolate Courgette Cake (pictured). 

This is an extremely tasty recipe that's moist and delicious. 

I made three slight alterations to the recipe: (1) I baked two round cakes rather than using a large brownie type pan, (2) I put raspberry jam in between the two layers, and, (3) I made Betty Crocker butter cream chocolate frosting for the top and middle of the cake. Absolutely gorgeous! For a  link to the recipe click here
This year I grew a prolific, unusual Italian heirloom variety of Courgette called Coucourzelle. It has lovely stripes and the seed pack describes it as producing "heavy crops of slim, straight fruits with excellent flavour and an excellent source of vitamin C." This is the variety I used in the cake. Gold star!

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

6 comments:

  1. Look lovely. Can I add a link to my courgette recipes page and steal a photo? It's here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue. Yes, feel free to add photo / link to recipe, etc. Its a delicious cake. I made up Betty Crocker icing (butter, icing sugar, vanilla extract, milk, melted chocolate) for the icing. I put raspberry jam in between the two cake layers with some icing as well. Decadent!

      Delete
  2. i must save this recipe because soon we will have boundless zucchini. Cake looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious. I'm sure there's be a marrow or two waiting for me on my return from my holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, a woman after my own heart. I often make chocolate zucchini bread when I have enough. And it just so happens that I picked several today. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete