This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Sunday 3 April 2016

Rainy day project for the garden

The weather hasn't been great for gardening...

St Patrick's was cold (so no potatoes were put in).
Easter was cold and wet so not much done outside.
This weekend was rainy (and cold), so again no seeds sown.


I feel a bit behind schedule but I have the rest of the month to sow seeds!   So this weekend, I decided to work on mosaic butterflies for the garden. I took a night class last year and I had started various mosaic projects - one of which was four butterflies cut out of copper. I finished three of them in class and had one more to do - today's project!
A copper piece completely covered with mosaic tiles and grouted. Of course, once the grout dries it has to be cleaned up!

On the left, a finished piece. On the right the copper shape. I like both pieces and think the copper is nice on its own. However, I can't wait to hang the bright, mosaic tile butterfly pieces in the garden over the coming months.

An enjoyable rainy day project!

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

5 comments:

  1. We had a real butterfly in the greenhouse today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen some bees, but no butterflies yet.

      Delete
  2. I've done a few mosaic pieces over the years, mostly flower pots, picture frames and such. But I love this idea of using a copper piece. Lovely project Kelli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm thinking about doing a few flower pots as well.. I'm hooked on mosaics!

      Delete
  3. The butterflies are wonderful and a great rainy day project. Your weather doesn't sound too different than our weather. We have peas, onions, and potatoes planted. I think they have been in two weeks. No sprouts yet. We've had lots of snow and now sun, but it hasn't been all that warm. Doesn't it seem that Spring is dragging her feet a little? I still have plenty of rainy day projects and I hope that you do too, Kellie. (PS How's your Mom? I miss her blogging. Hope she is well and busy.)

    ReplyDelete