This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Sunday 14 November 2010

Apple Strudel

I'm still working on using up the cooking apples. Today I decided to make apple strudel with raisins and a wee bit of chocolate. In terms of a taste test, the strudel has won head over heels over the apple pie (13 Oct blog) and the apple chocolate crumble (8 Nov blog). Easy to make too!

I used two large sheets of frozen puff pastry defrosted. I peeled  and then chopped 4 large cooking apples. I added a couple handfuls of raisins. I coated the fruit with just over 1/2 cup caster sugar, 2 tsps of cinnamon and a dash of ground nutmeg.
I put in about 20g of dark chocolate at the top before laying a puff pastry sheet overtop the fruit, and sealed it by pinching the sides. At this stage it looked a bit like a wedding cake gone wrong, so I dusted it with nutmeg and some brown sugar to try and improve things a bit.
Above - This is what it looks like after baking for 35 min at 220C (425F). Yes, it's a giant puff pastry (about the size of an A4 sheet of paper.)
This is 1/3 of it eaten. So very yummy. I serve it with Maud's Pooh Bear ice cream (vanilla ice cream with honey and honeycomb candy). Can't wait to have a piece tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Simple and YUMMY! Why wait till tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious, and simple to make too. I like the idea of chocolate being added.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelli, you are a bit of chocolate fiend, aren't you? How ever many apples did you have, by the way? You seem to have done so much with them. Apple Strudel will always remind me of Austria. I once visited the Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna, and one of the attrations was a strudel-making demo (and of course, tasting).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does this ever look good!!I plan to try your recipe myself. The chocolate bits take things up a notch for me!

    ReplyDelete