This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Thursday 27 August 2015

Late Summer Flowers looking Fab

Lots of colour in the garden this month, and most things will look good right up until the first frost (which will hopefully be late - end of October would be nice). 

Most of the plants pictured are perennial and will die down in the winter and come back each year - great value.

Pictured is Echinacea Purpurea / Coneflower. It's looking fab with its fashionable pink flowers, and provides some height in the border without the need for staking.

Top left to right: Lobelia Fan Burgundy, Achillea 'Terracotta' is still going strong, Hydrangea is coming into full flower, and Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm'.

Top left to right: Cosmos grown from seed are only recently coming into flower; trailing lobelia (annual bedding plant); Echinacea Purpurea / Coneflower, and agapanthus coming into flower.

The roses may be covered in blackspot but they have been full of blooms from Spring through Summer, and will keep going through Autumn. Quite hardy plants.

It's been a coldish, but great summer. I'm definitely not ready for it to end!

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

4 comments:

  1. There certainly is a touch of fall in the early morning air, but it disappears as the say warms up, 100 degrees this week. Your flowers are lovely and such a nice selection too.Mynbeds are fading. Dug potatoes and onions yesterday. Waiting on tomatoes. Have a fine day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often see your lovely veg here, so I was surprised so many colorful flowers blooming in your garden. Coneflowers are a personal favorite for me, I have them spread about. I've tried a few varietals of coneflowers, and they all died. Now I still with the common variety and love them still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you say about roses is so true - mine always lose lots of leaves to Black Spot, but they still produce masses of lovely blooms. I'm a big fan of Echinacea too. I think they are so photogenic! Agapanthus reminds me of my family home - Cornwall - where Agapanthus is very common, though normally it is the blue one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love echinacea but I've never grown it, I think it would be too big for my own garden, there just isn't the space. I'm really enjoying my roses, I've only had them in the garden for the last couple of years as I wasn't a fan of them before then but I can't get enough of them now.

    ReplyDelete