This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Monday 3 August 2015

Spectacular Sedum Plants

One of the easiest plants to grow are Sedums. 

There are a good choice of varieties; they are generally carefree and  can be easily divided to make more plants. 

Pictured is a low growing alpine-type sedum plant that produces white flowers around July-August.


Above: the same small alpine-type sedum that was coming into flower in June. These plants self seed into gravel or tiny cracks amongst paving. They can be pulled apart easily to make new plants and provide good ground cover. They will take over an area (something to look our for)!
Above and Below: Sedum 'Autumn Joy' - is a great plant for any garden.  It grows throughout the summer with green flower heads that start turning pink (pictured above) around September, moving to red, and then to a deep burgundy colour (pictured below) around November.

My gardening group has an annual plant swap every Autumn. Sedum is one of the plants I'll be taking to the plant swap, as it's such a useful plant to have in the garden and is so easy to grow.


Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

7 comments:

  1. They are easy as long as the birds don't trash them as they did my little ones and sempervivums before we netted them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that you should mention sedum. My friend gave us a huge clump to plant. I am just wondering where I should plant it. 5 acres and I can't decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, that's a good dilemma to have. They can usually be easily moved. Enjoy your plants!

      Delete
  3. Sedums are also drought tolerant...they've become my new favorite plant type with all the heat we've had this year. I love Autumn Joy and have recently acquired 'Autumn Brilliance'. I'm looking forward to their blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the November colour! I presume this plant needs lots of sun, so it probably wouldn't do well in my garden, which is mostly pretty shaded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, I have grown them in sun or shade and they don't seem to be fussy plants. They also grow well in poor soil.

      Delete
  5. Sedums are a favorite here, especially because my garden is so hot and dry. Angelina sedum is my true favorite, because of the lovely orange red colors it turns to in late winter. Love it!

    ReplyDelete