This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Tuesday 6 October 2015

Goodbye Giant Sunflowers

My 'Giant Single' Sunflowers, grown from seed, have been a cheerful addition to the garden over Summer, but they're sadly coming to an end...

The seed were sown around April, and they slowly and steadily grew over the first few months; then like the magic 'jack and the beanstalk', they sprung up to about 7 feet tall and starting flower in August. The most cheerful plant, I can think of, in the garden! 
October flowers are starting to fade, and will soon die off.

I tidy up the plant by cutting off the large seed heads as they finish flowering and place them where birds can feed on them.

I also collect seed (toward bottom left in photo) for growing plants next year.

 I so love sunflowers!

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

3 comments:

  1. I love sunflowers too.. the top photo is a beaut.. so sunny and cheerful, you can't help but smile when you see one :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you ever leave the seedheads for the birds?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love sunflowers! Now if only I didn't struggle to grown them! Yes, the flower that everyone can grow with ease, even small children, doesn't do well for me. But I keep trying!

    ReplyDelete