This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Tuesday 24 August 2010

Calendula Flowers and Rowan Trees



I planted Wild Cherry trees along the driveway 10 years ago, however, they were growing too big so I took them out one Autumn, gave them away, and replaced them with Rowan trees (more compact). Rowan, also known as Mountain Ash, get loads of beautiful berries in the late summer which attract birds. Bare root Cherry or Rowan 1.5-2 feet whips can be bought for 50p from Conservation Volunteers. They establish quickly. What a bargain - 50 pence per tree!

Accent planting: Calendula Orange King, Carters Seeds, 79p.
Edible: Calendula petals are edible and look great scattered in salad.

1 comment:

  1. These trees looked beautiful when I was visiting you and I loved the bright flowers bordering the driveway, too.

    ReplyDelete