This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Monday 28 February 2011

Hail Stones and 1st Daffodil Flower

Sunday was a mixed day, one minute nice and sunny, a chilly breeze blowing... then rain, then hail stones! What a day. In the afternoon I told myself 'it's dry' and I need to take advantage of this. So I went out to do a few odd jobs... until my fingers and toes turned blue! A cuppa and a gardening magazine, better choice.
 Can you see the hail stones in the first 3 photos!?
Also spotted at the weekend... first daffodil flower (a solo show):
 And more daffodils to come...

Above: a clump of daffodils coming up at the back of the crocus. The greenery in the photo is either self sown wild foxglove or the parsley-looking plant is poached egg plant (it self seeds every year) - a nice little hardy annual that will be in flower about June.

7 comments:

  1. Well I think Northern Ireland has had every type of weather thrown at it this winter. Nice to see a daffodil out, I haven't seen my first one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place to grow things. The daffodil look so cheery even exposed to the hail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the crocuses and the daffodils how cheery!! A cuppa and a gardening mag sounds heavenly...one of these days my kids will let me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Sunday sounds a bit like mine was. In the morning the weather was great - we went to a nearby Farmer's Market to do some shopping - then when we got home I did a few tasks in the garden, but by lunchtime it was tipping it down with rain, so I retreated to the garage to build some flat-packed cloches that had arrived earlier in the week.
    The blue and yellow colours of your Crocuses are a lovely combination. I'll be posting about my Irises and miniature Daffodils within the next couple of days. They have the same colour combo of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate hail! Your flowers are lovely. I love your daffodils. I cannot wait until mine bloom. Keep sharing. cheers. ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want my crocus to look like yours! It's been a very long time since I've seen hail and I don't mind at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We get hail here, too. Hate it. That last picture of your crocus is absolutely gorgeous! Love purple and yellow together.

    ReplyDelete