This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Friday 1 November 2013

Winter Veg

My winter veg consists of three types of kale, Spring cabbage, chard, winter lettuces, leek, broccoli spring onion and bits and pieces still holding on from the Summer. 

Left: Grown from seed: Kale Dwarf Green Curled and Cabbage January King
Above: Kale Nero di Toscana with Kale Dwarf Green Curled.

Cabbage January King - I think I finally got all the caterpillars picked off; now watching out for slugs.
Above: Broccoli I've been told will grow over the winter. Not sure of its name.
Above: A few beetroot grown from seed at the end of June. 
Chard 'White Silver 2' has been a staple diet for caterpillars all summer. 
Amongst the Autumn leaves are a selection of late summer salad leaves 'Winter Blend' which are slow to grow but looking hopeful.

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

7 comments:

  1. We have begun to struggle with winter brassicas - we think it's down to club root!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't got any this year. I didn't net & was bombarded with cabbage whites. looking forward to planning what winter veg to sow for next year though. Your cabbage looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea on planting on the winter. That's look so great, especially the curled kale. My brassica didn't do well on this end of the dry season until the early rainy season. Blight and caterpillar attack were the serious problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite the caterpillars you still have lots of cabbages. Watch the slugs, they like beetroots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kale looks particularly fine. It was a bumper year for Cabbage White butterflies, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to grow winter veggies but missed the planting window completely. I love beets. Yours look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you did well for your winter garden!!

    ReplyDelete