This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Wednesday 19 August 2015

Potato Pentland Javelin Harvest

This week I harvested my potatoes, Pentland Javelin, which were planted as seed potatoes on 21 March 2015. 

In a 40 by 32 inch planting space, I had put in 10 small seed potatoes. The end result was a harvest of 9.1kg or approx 20 pounds. 

So far, I've baked them and made chunky oven chips and they taste great. They have a good texture after cooked.

They grew relatively pest free and have a very clean, light coloured skin. I'd definitely recommend them for the Irish weather.

Where I made space, taking out the potatoes, I've planted salad crops (mustard greens, salad bowl, mizuna, and radish) so I can continue my summer salad eating regime.

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

8 comments:

  1. That's quite a harvest for a small space, I have a similar sized tub so perhaps I will give this variety a go next year. I like the sound of home-grown chunky chips x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look very nice, and at about 900g per seed tuber that is a good yield.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelli,were these in the ground or contained?
    This year the potatoes that I grew in clean compost in pots were very small because of the dry spell but totally slug free,whereas the ones in my clay soil on the plot have lots of skin scab and about 25% are slug damaged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, the potatoes were grown in a raised bed that had been filled with soil, compost and some seaweed.

      Delete
  4. To say it has been dry this year our potatoes seem to have done very well. Snap I've been sowing salad seeds in our raised bed too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your potatoes look so good. Healthy. We planted Yukon Gold, my favorite, white, and red, another favorite. What is your favorite way to cook them? I like to boil them then smother them with butter, garlic powder and chives. And potato soup with lots of cheese and bacon. Fall greens sound pretty good, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, My favourite way to eat potatoes is mashed. Recently I added kale to mash and it was quite good. Tonight I think I will add kale and bacon to mash!

      Delete
  6. I've grown Pentland Javelin in the past and have been impressed with them. I may give them a go again alongside my usual varieties.

    ReplyDelete