This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Wednesday 8 December 2010

Snow & Coldest Night in 10 Years

Eleven days of snow on the ground and counting. It was -15C (5F) last night in Northern Ireland, the lowest temperature in 10 years. It's the BiG FReeZe. Headlines today: Almost two weeks since the cold snap hit and the government are still arguing over who should grit pedestrian sidewalks (footpaths); although the paper did note that our government building was gritted so our politicians won't slip. (Belfast Telegraph). I was at our Parliament Building last week, and yes, well gritted.
Above: A little weeping willow frozen beside a larger native Rowan tree. The weeping willow looks good in winter, leaves bare. In summer it quickly resembles 'Cousin It' from the Adams Family. Variety: Salix Caprea Kilmarnock Weeping Willow. Bought for £10.99 a number of years ago; it's a popular small garden tree as it only gets 2 metres (6.5 ft) high and just over a metre wide.

We're expecting freezing temperatures again tonight. I bought several bags of crocus on clearance (one of my favourite words) this week for 25p per bag of 40; I only need the ground to defrost!

5 comments:

  1. It really looks cold there! We even got a freeze in South Florida last night! Two days of cold weather here, and I am ready for the 80's again! Your Cousin It tree should get together with my banana tree monster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelli; Looks like you have suffered a lot more than we have here in Hampshire. Isn't it funny to find yourself wishing for some rain? If we had rain it would surely mean that the temperature would be higher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm, I don't think you'll be planting your crocus for a while yet. I love weeping willows, there isn't room for one in my garden even though this variety is small. Our roads haven't been gritted, never mind the footpaths. I haven't driven the car since the snow came, it's just too slippy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brrr - but very beautiful. I love the light in your last picture; winter skies are rather wonderful. We planted a kilmarnock willow in our last garden which I always admired. In our village by the river are several of the large weeping willows, which have a grace and splendour all of their own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard about the early cold and snow you have been getting in your area. It looks beautiful in pictures around in the garden but I would rather just see it in pictures. LOL! I am over the whole thing after the first snow. You may be digging in the snow to plant your crocus bulbs. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete