This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Tuesday 8 October 2013

Carrots and Squash


The weather has been mild and the plants are still thriving. I pulled out most of the carrots over the weekend. I had been picking a few occasionally to serve with mixed veg or stir fry but decided to pull out the lot. In quite a small space and using the square foot growing idea (I used approx 18 inch square planting area for carrots - pictured below left corner) I think I've had a reasonable harvest. In the past the carrots have been longer and bigger so maybe they were a little cramped.

Variety:  Carrot 'Early Nantes 2' 
I've heard other bloggers complain about their squash... the monster plant above is taking over one of my raised veg boxes. I thought it was a courgette, however, I found a label hidden underneath indicating Squash Patty Green Tint. This plant continues to grow like a tropical paradise plant, however, it has produced only three squash (so far) the whole summer. Frost is coming soon so my squash is on the naughty plant list
Above: lots of squash flowers more recently (all the plant did  over the Summer was grow huge). Over the past month, I've been feeding it with tomato feed.
Below: Squash with blossom rot. Hoping to get some squash before the frost!
One squash harvested with carrots, a few beans and a few salad leaves.

Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

8 comments:

  1. You have a good crop of carrots there Kelli. Wish we were more successful with them. My husband has gone down to the allotment this morning and I shall be interested to see what he's gathered this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fellow allotment holder was complaining that most of her squash flowers this year were male and so didn't produce. I think out Crown Prince has done OK but haven'y harvested yet so I'm not sure how many fruits are lurking amongst the foliage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never grown squash for some reason.
    That's a sizeable crop of carrots you got going on there too :) Mine are a bit naff this year due to me not thinning them out but we're getting bitesize ones to eat with lunch so not all is lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So jealous, those carrots look great! Jeannine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I envy your carrots, I did not sow them this year because last year the crop was disappointing, I had beans but they are finished now. Anyway, you have enough fresh veggies for firstcoming dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe you should harvest the squash flowers instead of waiting for the fruits? Apparently they are nice stuffed with cream cheese or something, and maybe dipped in tempura batter and deep-fried... Nice carrots though. They look pretty clean, and not fly-infested.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your carrots look great and maybe you will still get some more squash if the weather holds. I would have been very happy with that many carrots!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those carrots looks great! I have never tried growing carrots, but I think I'll give it a try next year. Yours look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete