This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Monday 10 March 2014

Spring Bulbs are Real Beauties

Spring flowering bulbs like crocus and snowdrops are spectacular this time of year, so cheerful and bright! The little bulbs multiply under the ground each year making a bigger flower show as the years go by. I have them planted under trees, in wet clay soil and in drier areas of the garden and they seem happy in most locations. This makes them a really good investment.

This year I've added additional crocus to the garden. I have to admit the flowers are quite small in their first year of planting (no 1st year photos shown here), but they'll get bigger and better with each year to come.

Two of my favourite Spring bulbs!




Copyright: All words and photos are property of Kelli's Northern Ireland Garden.

11 comments:

  1. You have lovely things blooming. We are still under a good foot of snow, but looking forward to crocus season in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are lovely flowers, I would like some of the yellow ones for next year & perhaps some white crocus also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spring flowers are beautiful. I've planted so many crocuses in the past that haven't come up (I think they've been eaten), but I am determined to keep planting - they are a favourite flower of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crocus certainly look best "en masse". There is a nursing home near us which has a HUGE display of them on its roadside frontage. They look really spectacular right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful color. I love spring bulbs; I wish they lasted all year. Yours are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous Spring flowers.. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful crocuses, I would love to have them at home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are so pretty. I just love the purple ones and the white and yellow mixed in look great. Wish we could have crocus...perhaps we could force some in the house here. It is too warm outside. I will have to read up on forcing them where it is warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both Crocus and Snowdrops survive in many spots other spring bulbs would give up! You can never have too many.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so heart-warming when the spring bulbs begin to bloom!

    ReplyDelete