This is the journal of my endeavours to grow a range of fruit, veg and flowers from seed, grow organically, and my attempts to create a personal paradise with 1/2 acre of maintained gardens and 1/2 acre wild meadows. Northern Ireland's average daily high temperatures are 18 °C (64 °F) in July and 6 °C (43 °F) in January. Soil type: Clay

Friday 13 May 2011

Oh pest where art thou

All of a sudden I'm noticing many pests in the garden. My self-fertilising apple tree has green worms on it. I suppose this is why I get limited apples each year.

This is damage from the green worms... they will keep eating and eating. So.. I've been green worm hunting this week.

Aphids....  out of nowhere one of my roses is absolutely covered in the little green creatures. So... I've been out aphid squishing this week. Where are the ladybugs and lacewigs when I need them?
Snails and slugs came out in droves after our spell of warm weather and then a big rain. So... I've been out snail collecting this week.

She's not really a garden pest, although caught in the act... sleeping on top of my pots. I've decided to give her this one and I've 'cat proofed' all the others.

11 comments:

  1. There are plenty of pests in my garden too. Some of my climbing beans have been destroyed by some little white maggot-like things. Not sure what they are. They look like Cabbage Root Fly maggots. Does Cabbage Root Fly attack beans as well as brassicas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also have many caterpillars in the garden.
    But snails??, no .. that I took a "wrong" way to attack gone.
    And the cat?? I find it a sweet pest.
    Happy weekend, Elly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't noticed many "pests" in my garden YET. Last year I battled aphids, leaf miners and cabbage moths. This year I'm a little wiser when it comes to their habits. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how depressing. We've had two days of rain, which according to the radio, will bring out the bugs, especially mosquitos. Great. Just Great. When we are reluctant to use chemicals, I guess we just squish. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of the pests have died off or are asleep for the cold weather here...but those snails still send a chill down my spine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, these are serious worms! What about getting a mail order of ladybirds to munch on your aphids? But it is fun to go squishing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh sigh I've got loads of pests in my garden too...despite the frost the caterpillars are our in force destroying my broccoli!!
    It's funny that the snails in your part of the world are so different to the ones in my garden! Still hate them in the garden though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bummer about having such nice weather is that is appears your getting bunches o bugs! At least your snails are prettier than nasty slugs. A true challenge for organic gardening. I like Linda's suggestion. Ladybugs do wonders! Best wishing on your pest problem Kelli!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cat probably enjoys the warm soil on a sunny day. I am having problem with leaf miner with my greens seedlings and aphids too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh, that last pest is one I wouldn't mind having in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So far the dry weather has kept the snails under control. Our hostas are great and hole free at the moment. On the aphid problem our blue tits are searching everywhere for the little blighters to keep their chicks fed. There're working from dawn till dusk feeding the chicks

    ReplyDelete